Friday, May 20, 2011

Big Tent. Big Kicks. Big Mess.

I live in a town where most people are plainly not interested in Jesus. There are many possible reasons for this disinterest but one in particular comes to mind today: Christians. My hunch – and ‘hunch’ is putting it mildly – my hunch is that people don’t bother with Christ because they are already bothered by Christians.

The immanent second coming of the ‘Jesus Christ is Lord Gospel Tent Rally’ is a case in point. If the nature of their last visit is any indication, the purpose of this event will be to ‘share’ Jesus by blaring religious clichés at excruciating decibels from a pop-up tent on the lawn at the Community Centre.

A week ago signs appeared in Pemberton advertising something variously described as a “Tent Rally,” a “Revival,” a “Gospel Meeting,” or in one ominously vague, less-is-more case, simply as "Jesus." 




No-doubt in a calculated effort to be relevant within the current economic context, the signage imbibed a distinctly frugal tone. Clearly intended for re-use, the plastic-board signs all followed a simple pattern: Stenciled in large, bright letters across the top were the various titles about Jesus etc. while the bottom halves were reserved for pasted sheets of paper with event-specific details. Within a day or two the weather had wrinkled the paper and made the ink bleed, but a determined observer could still discern info about location, dates and times.



Within a week the signs had been significantly modified. It was curious at first. Had the organizers suddenly adjusted their plans? Was this some kind of newfangled marketing stunt? The careful but rushed style of the emendations matched the original design, but the content was considerably different, and strange.


Eventually we got it: This had been a rogue re-branding campaign and Chuck Norris was the aptly chosen figurehead. Well-played Pemberton. And leaving the original papers unedited was a nice touch too. The scene comes easily to mind: Swarms of aggression addicts amped for big kicks and fast punches arrive to a very different kind of show, filled instead with guilt trips and judgment jabs.


I have only one qualm with the signs, in either form. Slight variations aside, there is a consistent and conspicuous omission on every one. Standard event advertising includes basic contact information. But on these, there was none. No phone number, no website or email address, not even an organization name to Google.

Maybe they were in a hurry and this was just a clerical oversight.

Or maybe this was an unintentional way of providing one more very relevant piece of information: We will do the talking. You will do the listening.

But here’s the thing: Unilateral communication is kind of like a Chuck Norris punch in the face, its not really “co-mmunication,” it’s a contradiction in terms.


If I were a vegetarian [this is a hypothetical scenario for rhetorical purposes only] and you graciously wanted to ‘share’ your bacon-wrapped tenderloin with me, I would need an opportunity to explain my culinary convictions to you. But if as I opened my mouth to do so, you mistake my gaping jaws for an invitation to jam a juicy morsel down the hatch, we have a problem.

In Pemberton, we have this problem. Enter Chuck Norris.


When we presume someone wants what we are willing to give – even if we genuinely feel really, really generous about it – it’s not ‘sharing,’ it’s just presuming. And when presumption like that takes action, people get ticked-off, things get screwed-up and, as in this case, big nasty stereotypes rise again.

Maybe I’m overreacting here. So what if the last time this revival preacher arrived in Pemberton it marked the seventh all-time-history appearance of a three-piece suit in this town? Honest mistake. We all overdress from time to time. Some of us just happen to overdress especially flamboyantly, that’s all. And, let me assure you, it is far beneath me to judge a man by his clothes. Or by his gold jewelry. Or his Mercedes.

I might be able to appreciate that in some churches a preacher should appear, sound and behave in ways different than mine. I might be able to appreciate that.

Not sure.

What I am sure about is that most people in this town see the bling and hear the racket and immediately take several giant steps backward. The less inhibited and more jovial might pick up some paint and a Sharpie to conjure the help of a fast-fisted hero, but the majority will give the spectacle a passing glance then chalk it up as yet another entry on their own personal list of reasons for dismissing Christianity. And - this ought not need be said - when people dismiss Christianity, they usually dismiss Jesus right along with it.

The people of Pemberton are, presently or potentially, my friends. So if you come here and yell at them for a couple days, I am likely to get miffed. But if you come here and yell at them for a couple days in Jesus’ name, ‘miffed’ no longer captures it. 

Here’s a surprise: Even fully miffed, I’m no Chuck Norris. But let me put this in a way that doesn’t pull any punches: ‘Jesus Christ is Lord’ – Amen! I believe it! And I also believe that a ‘Gospel Tent Rally’ of the sort we saw in Pemberton last Fall is just about the worst possible way to make that statement in this town.

To Whoever-You-Are: Would you please contact me to discuss your plans for Christian outreach in Pemberton?

Also: If you haven’t disposed of it yet, I’d sure like that one about the grilled cheese as a souvenir.


Cordially,
Paul Cumin

paul@crux.ca
604.905.9404



15 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello alexanderglen. Thanks for your comments. My tone here is flippant and snarky but it comes from a very carefully held concern. Please contact me at the number above so we can have a brotherly chat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. UPDATE: I met with the organizers of the Jesus Christ is Lord Gospel Tent Rally this afternoon. No roundhouse kicks were exchanged. Instead, we had coffee. And we also had the chance to clarify our grounds of disagreement. That went well. What went even better was when we clarified our grounds for agreement. In the big picture, the latter are much larger: Yes, Jesus Christ is Lord. Whether or not a ‘Gospel Tent Rally’ is a good way to say that in Pemberton is still open between us. For now we agreed on a few things some readers might like to know. First of all the VOLUME of the event will be significantly moderated. To a reader not within a 20km radius of last year’s JCLGTR that might seem a trivial point. Enough said. Second, these guys didn’t and don’t ever ask for money during their rallies. This is a subject for another blog – some other day. Third, I was able to convey my sincere feeling that in terms of explaining the story about Jesus to people who don’t know him, more harm than good was done last time. It was a case of method upstaging message. We agreed to talk more about this later. Finally, I explained that this is not the city (PTL) – everybody knows who the Christians are here – and so any event that bears our namesake will also bear directly on our hard-earned rural kudos. This concern was left more or less unresolved, with the understanding that we’d communicate directly and more clearly in the future.
    Readers might also like to know that at several points in our discussion I was tempted to apologize for the edge in my blog above. I resisted that. I figured it wouldn’t have been genuine. Something like saying sorry to a guy that had just insulted my wife because I went all Chuck Norris on him. But I will say, I intend to get over myself and attend these meetings next week. Maybe you should come too. I could save you a spot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paul--I quite enjoyed this blog of yours--particularly the photos. I am glad to have touched base with you this way again.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great you worked things out. Sort of. I'm still in the dark though. Is Chuck Norriz coming, or not?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah: Thanks for checking-in. Good to be back in touch with you too. Pemberton may be on the other side of the country but its a lot like the small town we grew up in.

    Which Andy would know about too.

    And yeah, Andy, I'm also ambivalent and wading through the dark a bit. Been in touch with Chuck though; promises to lay low if the JCLGTR folk behave themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paul I am sorry to hear that you do not approve of "the way" in which the message of Christ was preached by the tent rally this weekend. It is not the way in which the message is preached as long as it is the truth and word of God... in which it was. And it is not the way in which it is spoken, that divides people from the message of Jesus Christ but it is Christians themselves that are divided about the stupid little things that bother us about our brother and sisters in the Lord that not only keep unbelievers from hearing the truth, but cast doubt in the minds and division in the hearts of those who do. I am also sorry to see you post your comments here that cause even more division. We do not stand alone and divided we fall. Although I enjoy your services on Sundays I apologize for I fell asleep during your service today, but the rally next door had me on fire for God and the praise and worship was some of the best. I am filled with a deep gratitude to our Lord for having these people come to our town. These too are children of our Lord Jesus Christ that you serve and I for one.. needed to hear what they had come to say and was so very blessed by all they have done. More sorry yet that you missed it. Maybe next year?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cindy,

    I’m sorry I missed the chance to meet you at church this morning, not to mention the chance to wake you up. Let’s plan on introducing ourselves next time you visit, and maybe with little heads-up I can try to spice things up a bit for you too.

    I did stop by the Tent Rally this afternoon; didn’t stay long, but got enough of a sense of it to feel out of place and make a careful decision to exit quietly. I am genuinely glad to hear that you were encouraged by it. And I hope others from town were too.

    And I’m glad you took the time to comment here. You’re a great example of the fact that no sweeping dismissal of an event like this is fair. Thank-you. And please feel free to stop-in for a look again sometime.

    I still disagree with you about message and method. I think it is very possible – common even – for non-Christian observers to be put-off by how we tell our story before they even begin to listen to it. Saying that in the tone I did above might seem to suggest that I’ve figured out a way through that challenge. Nope. Not at all. God help me.

    I do agree with you on another point though: There was indeed a hint of ‘division’ between the organizers of the JCLGTR and I when we met last week. And I’ll take full responsibility for that. As it turns out, they seem like a couple of really great guys. It also turns out we can disagree with each other and still acknowledge a common Saviour.

    At the root of all this was a simple pinch: On one side were some Christian brothers I didn’t know but was supposed to love, and on the other were some friends in a town I already love dearly. I figured I’d take the risk of offending some brothers for the sake of demonstrating a little respect for my friends. Put in that spot again, I’d make the same choice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good Morning Paul

    In the 10+ years I have lived in the area I have seen more hurt, division and church splits in the Sea to Sky corridor than I can count on in one hand.
    My conviction and prayer in a commitment to honor Christ and return to church is found in Ephesians 4


    Ephesians 4:1-3 (New International Version)

    1 As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. 2 Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. 3 Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.

    Method and message of Christ's salvation for the lost is something we all need work on, but if only one comes to the saving grace of our Lord it is worth it.



    Romans 10:14-17 (New International Version)


    How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? 15 And how can anyone preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!”

    I hope I have not offended any here, and on that note I too will make the decision to exit quietly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cindy,

    Again: Thank-you for commenting. I know that probably sounds like what I’m supposed to say, but I do mean it. The more conversation, the better. And especially about such an important subject.

    Your point about “if only one … it is worth it” is true, I think. Maybe. Kinda unsure though.

    On second impression, I wonder if the truth of that rationale could become a kind of backward justification for not thinking carefully enough about how we communicate our faith to others. Like allowing the proverbial bull into the china-shop as long as he carries at least one intact piece back out.

    On the flip side, too much hand-wringing about getting our method right could mean we never get around to talking about Jesus with people who might actually like to hear about him. Here’s where the passage you quoted is on the money – if you’ll allow me to mix it with my cliché – even a bull’s feet are beautiful if he is delivering the message of God’s love.

    Sheesh. This is almost as complicated as church unity – the other concern you mention.

    The fact that both of these issues are obviously important to you makes me hope you’ll reconsider your quiet exit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good Morning Paul

    Peace be with you. My decision to exit quietly does not mean that I am going far for too long. I still intend on coming to your church if welcomed and if that is what you meant. If it means continuing the discussion here then these are my thoughts.

    I guess my point in all of this is something similar to what my mother would say,"If you don't have something nice to say then don't say anything at all." But more importantly and to the point I am trying to make and perhaps you can help me here... Is there not scripture somewhere on how we as Christians are to treat one another when we choose to disagree on what is being done or said, because for the life of me I cannot understand why it was important for you to mock these people of God and air it here for all to see, for Christian and non-Christian alike even.
    I feel that this only causes distension amongst us and there is enough of that in the church already. God help us.
    You said earlier that you did.. "take the risk of offending some brothers for the sake of demonstrating a little respect for my friends"

    I guess I just question if a public forum is where that should be done, in the manner in which you have opposed your brothers presence here in Pemberton.

    Would not a careful and quiet exit if feeling uncomfortable or out of place as you put it, have been the right thing to do in the first place and not after the fact... here?

    You mention the way they dress, the cars they drive, (which for me by the way was not too hard on the eyes and a pleasant surprise, especially when I saw "tent rally" Jesus and revival...I was expecting long haired hippies, not that I have a problem with them either) and yet you admit they serve the same Saviour?

    If not for others reading this post, perhaps you could be so kind as to explain to me Why mocking and your disapproval was done and said here?

    sincerely
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I did take the passive approach last year. Exiting quietly, disapproving silently etc. And was even mostly okay with spending the subsequent weeks explaining to many in town that it was not something ‘we’ (PCF) did – an understandable assumption given that the event was just metres from our regular gathering place. And, you’re right, I could’ve bit my tongue and done that all again. Should that ‘could’ be a ‘should?’ Hard to say.

    I can say that the ‘mocking’ tone that you – and others – find inappropriate came from exactly the same frustration that’s driving your concerns. I too wish we Christians could get our act together a little more. The JCLGTR organizers and I both agree that communication in advance would’ve been far better.

    You’ll notice the original crux of my blog was the lack of contact info. It was later pointed out to me that there were some signs with very small flyers pasted to them, on which there were in fact a couple phone numbers. Oops. I’ll blame Chuck for distracting me.

    In any case, I still think that this kind of event is about the least effective way to communicate the Christian message to non-churchgoers in Pemberton. If the idea was to encourage Christians – like you for example – then rent St. Davids’ facility and have at ‘er. It was messing with the public impression of Jesus in Pemberton that got my feathers ruffled. Would a nice, compliant, grin-and-bear-it pastor be better for that impression? Maybe. But that’s not me, and pretending to be it would’ve been the religious hypocrisy that I rail against most Sundays.

    But enough in that direction – I’m getting a cramp in my arm from patting myself on the back. Sounds like we have a conversation going here that’s worth something a little more personal than the world-wide-web?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kinda like......

    "two wrongs don't make a right",

    or is it more like...

    "don't throw the baby out with the bath water?"

    Either way Enough said here that I think it is safe to say that we can at this point agree to disagree.

    Have a great weekend at the lake Paul, wish I could be there!

    Sincerely
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very interesting dialogue. This "method and message" conversation has got me thinking that what kind of rhetoric matters.... and I feel a little more fully awake. KaPow!

    ReplyDelete