Thursday, May 5, 2011

Prolepsis

Within one 24-hour stretch
last week, I sat in the dark
with a young man
who thought death looked pretty good,
and stood in the lights
of an Emergency Room
with a middle-aged one
who desperately wanted to live.

The day after, I had arrived
late into a large, carpeted church-room
stuffed with well-tucked presentation
and half-embraced deep thought.

Then yesterday, walking
with the big hand of my young son
happily inside mine,
I stepped past a polite homeless man.

At that moment driving by
another stranger,
Plain for those with eyes to see
that his metallic-beige SUV
was not financed
but paid in full,
It was perfectly temperate
yesterday, but his gold-tinted
windows tightly sealed,
And his clean, buttoned collar
reaching up his neck to match
the empty grip
on his face.

That moment passed,
But it has also not passed.

Nor have the others,
The dark, the lights, the room,
the hand and the strangers,
All of them linger heavy
and wait for reconciliation.

So am I, Waiting,
Expectant and leaning
forward with these
and other such thoughts
for longer than I care to recall.

Usually, I don’t
Care or recall
Usually I forget to anticipate,
stranded on the moment
beneath my feet.

Maybe forgetfulness is a mercy?
Otherwise life gets too full,
The bulk tumbles out into the darkness
or bleeds-out under the lights,
When the cup runneth over
it stains the carpet
and slips through the fingers.

Or maybe it should pile up
The cumbersome abundance
from time to time,
Lest all of life’s moments succumb
to the unconstrained present
without a stop
for the remembering that becomes anticipation.

Then, deadpan,
we glide right past it.


No comments:

Post a Comment